Read Easy Shropshire Hills
About the group:
Read Easy Shropshire Hills helps local people who want to improve their reading. We cover the towns of Bishops Castle, Church Stretton, Clun, Craven Arms, Knighton and Ludlow as well as all areas in-between.
As a new group we require funds to cover the cost of teaching materials and reading books which are provided free of charge to our readers. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor of Read Easy Shropshire Hills, or you would like to support our cause by providing a donation, please contact us.
- We have seven pairs of readers and coaches up and running with more coming through.
- Our coaches met up in Wistanstow to help build on their initial training and to get to know each other.
- We received a great cash award from The Shropshire Star as part of their Cash for your Community scheme and would like to thank all our supporters who collected tokens from the paper for us.
- Walcot Hall gave us some fantastic publicity during their performances of Tosca.
- Local actor Billy Postlethwaite who grew up in our beautiful area has accepted our invitation to be an ambassador. Here are a few words of his own to explain why he has chosen to support us….
‘Reading has always been a challenge for me as I am heavily dyslexic and it took a few years before tests came to that diagnosis. It was actually a big relief to know what I had and has helped me to understand myself. Reading is integral to my job as an actor, that said, reading is integral to modern life in general. This is why Read Easy is so brilliant and important. I would like to be an Ambassador because it may be helpful for people to hear from someone who struggles massively with reading and writing, but also understands the benefits and opportunities it unlocks.’
Manda Scott, a local best selling author, is also an ambassador for our group