1) Because Read Easy changes lives
We know that the difference Read Easy makes is genuinely life-changing; it’s a phrase that our new readers use over and over again. People tell us that they have:
- been supporting their children and grandchildren with reading and homework
- got jobs or promotion, or gone on to attend other courses
- become independent shoppers
- voted for the first time in their lives
- been reading books and newspapers
- become involved in campaigning in their local communities
- had the confidence to go to the doctors for a check up
- been able to use social media and the internet and complete forms online
- grown enormously in confidence and self-esteem, and experienced improved mental health
Learning to read is empowering. Go to our Testimonials page to hear our readers’ personal stories.
2) Because Read Easy is cost effective
Read Easy has a very lean model, with all the local organisation and one-to-one coaching being done entirely by our committed and hard-working volunteers. Read Easy UK’s funds can therefore be focussed on supporting and training volunteers to set up groups in new places, and providing ongoing support and professional advice.
We calculate that the costs of providing this support can work out at as little as £140 per adult learning to read. By contrast, it can cost the public purse anything up to £64,000 to support someone who can’t read over his or her lifetime (Long term costs of literacy difficulties, KPMG, 2009)
Read Easy UK receives no government funding and relies on grants and donations to set up and support its local groups. If you would like to contribute to our work, please go to our donate page.
You can also support Read Easy by volunteering