Read Easy changes lives
The difference Read Easy makes is genuinely “life-changing”; it’s a phrase that our new Readers use over and over again. It helps them with some or all of the following:
- getting jobs or promotion, or attending other training courses
- becoming independent shoppers – of medicines, food and clothing – life’s essentials
- voting in general and local elections for the first time in their lives
- reading books, newspapers and accessing the Internet /social media – completing online forms too.
- campaigning with confidence for change in their local communities
- having the confidence to go to the doctors or opticians for a check up
- increased confidence and self-esteem, and improved mental health
- supporting their children and grandchildren with reading and homework
Learning to read is empowering. Go to our Testimonials page to hear our readers’ personal stories.
Read Easy is cost effective
Read Easy’s working model is very lean, with all the local organisation and one-to-one reading coaching being done entirely by committed and hard-working volunteers. Read Easy UK’s funds can therefore be focussed to support and train volunteers to set up groups in new places. Funds also provide ongoing support and professional advice – on issues such as adult safeguarding, literacy expertise, data protection, etc.
We calculate that the costs of providing this support can work out at as little as £140 per adult learning to read. By contrast, it can cost the public purse anything up to £64,000 to support someone who can’t read over his or her lifetime (Long term costs of literacy difficulties, KPMG, 2009)
Read Easy UK receives no government funding and relies entirely on grants and donations to set up and support its local groups. If you would like to contribute to our work, please go to our donate page.